Monday, April 9, 2012

Cookies and Cream Cutouts (Recipe)

I've been wanting to share this recipe for quite some time now, but I have forgotten to take pictures every time I've made it!
So finally I got another chance tonight when I whipped up a batch. And yay, I remembered to take a few quick pictures!

Don't they look gorgeous!?! 
I love vanilla. And I also love chocolate. Although it took me a long time to like chocolate. I hated it up until about 3 years ago I would barely touch the stuff. In high school, I would cut the chocolate off of Snickers bars before eating them. I don't know what I was thinking ;)

Chocolate and vanilla are perfect together. The flavors are very complimentary. So if ever you can't decide which to make, make them both! At once!

I used the mini Oreo's for this recipe, but it doesn't really matter if you use the regular ones. 

I also used my mortar to smoosh them up. But if you have a food processor handy you can do that too.

I actually only used the mortar, because when I bought it (over a year ago) the boy told me I didn't need it because I would never use it. So just to prove my point, that I can't live without it, I finally used it ;)




Here is my recipe for Cookies and Cream Cut Out Cookies
I adapted it from my ownVanilla Bean Citrus Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 3/4 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup crushed Oreo cookies

Directions:
  1. Crush about 1/2 cup of Oreos until largest pieces are not much larger than chocolate chips, set aside.
  2. Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
  3. Add egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
  4. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
  5. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in two batches and mix between each addition.
  6. Add crushed Oreos to dough and mix until incorporated.
  7. Roll dough out onto lightly floured surface to desired thickness.
  8. Cut out using you favorite cookies cutters.
  9. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden on bottom.

Allow cookies to cool completely before decorating.

I ate one right out of the oven. First you get the mellow, sweet vanilla flavor and than BAM the Oreo jump right in! These are YUMMY!!

Not only did I get to use my mortar for the first time, but there is photographic evidence ;)

I hope you try this recipe and enjoy it as much as I do! 


Samantha
Flour De Lis

13 comments:

Georganne (LilaLoa) said...

These look DELICIOUS!!! What a great idea!

melissa {thebakedequation} said...

Love it! I am going to try it with newman o's...my son hates that I am an orgy at times...xoxo

Anonymous said...

These sound great! Gonna try them tomorrow! Thanks for the tutorial. chef_penne@yahoo.com (Sweet P's Cookies)

Cristin (Pinkie) said...

Oh Samantha I can't even begin to tell you how very excited I am to try these! I yelled for my son to come and see your recipe and pictures and while I read to him what you said about cutting the chocolate off of a candy bar, he poked me and said "that's what YOU do!" I bet these are super delicious and Nick and I can't wait to try them!!! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Unknown said...

wow, these look awesome. Another addition to my cookie cutout collection YAY!!!!

Sue said...

You're so innovative, Samantha! I had success with your mint chip formula, so I'm sure these are GREAT!

SugarNosh said...

Yum! Another use for your mortar & pestle would be to smoosh your citrus zest into some sugar in your cookie recipe. This is how I flavor my cookies instead of extract most times. Really incorporates the oils into the sugar.

Traylor Made Treats said...

I cannot WAIT to make these!!!

Anonymous said...

I made these cookies today. They are awesome!! I used a baby onesie cookie cutter. I'm new to this so the first few batches came out a bit crisp. I finally got it down right. I used RI on these but I have a question ...After making the outline on the cookie with the icing I let that dry for a bit then I flooded them. How do I get rid of the bubbles?? Did I make it to thin?? Any tips are appreciated. Thanks for this great recipe!

Unknown said...

Brasilady,
I use Karen's Cookies boo boo stick to pop the bubbles. But a good trick to get fewer bubbles in your RI is to let it sit after you mix and color it. I cover it with a wet towel and let it rest for 5-10 minutes while I work on something else. That way all the bubbles rise to the top and you can pop them all as you scoop it into your pipping bag or bottles. I am so glad you tried the recipe and I hope this tip works for you!

Janine (sugarkissed.net) said...

Definitely saving this one in the vault! Can't wait to try it!

Diane Schmidt said...

Oh my these look wonderful!!! I love Oreos :) Can't wait to give them a try!

Anonymous said...

Do you think I could substitute other cookies in this recipe, like chocolate covered graham crackers?