Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Snickerdoodle Cut Out Cookies

Fall is just around the corner, it's a little difficult to tell today with the temperature soaring to almost 90 degrees here in Seattle!
But the signs are popping up everywhere else. I think a lot of us really get the first taste of fall when Starbucks reintroduces the pumpkin spice back into their lineup! I know I found myself digging in the back of the closet for my scarves and I even dropped my favorite jackets off to get dry cleaned the day after I saw the sign :)

Fall makes me think about warm clothes, warm drinks and warm spices! And it makes me think of that delicious smell of baking and spices filling the house. Apple pie, apple cider, warm gooey cinnamon rolls or maybe just a hot cup of spiced chai. All of those yummy things have at least one thing in common; cinnamon! For me, cinnamon, is the quintessential fall spice.

If you follow me on facebook, or instagram or really anywhere else, you already know that I am madly in love with baking, especially cookies! I also LOVE fall! Like, love, love fall. I have several boards dedicated to my love of all things fall. I am convinced there is nothing better than baking cookies on a beautiful fall day in the pacific northwest (with the football game on of course)!

This week, I got to thinking about how I never make drop cookies anymore. I am always so busy making my decorated cookies that I don't have much time for anything else, so I decided it would be fun to turn some of my favorite drop cookies into roll out cookies! And what could be better on a fall day than a nice snickerdoodle? You really can't go wrong, it's soft, warm, tender and most importantly has a mellow sweetness and a little cinnamon kick!

I honestly didn't try very hard with these cookies, I took my basic cookie recipe (I know, it needs to be updated desperately) and left out the vanilla bean and added a little cinnamon. I use Vietnamese cinnamon and I am telling you, if you have never tried it, it's cinnamon x10! Just opening the jar smells like walking into Cinnabon! It's the best cinnamon I've ever tried :)

Just look at that gorgeous dough, you can see those beautiful, warm flecks of cinnamon!


I loved the way the dough smelled as the sugar and butter and cinnamon blended together! Just heavenly!



The best part is that all the flavor of the cinnamon is baked right into the cookie and the extra little sprinkles of sugar and cinnamon just melt right into your mouth.

You can eat these beauties right out of the oven and they are already a perfect treat! But the little sprinkling of sugar does not interfere with decorating at all, so you can dress them up anyway you like!

I chose to go super easy with this batch and gave them a few quick details.


Aren't they gorgeous?!? And incredibly yummy!

If you're looking for a great new recipe for cut out cookies, that will be perfect for fall, look no further!

Snickerdoodle Cut Out Cookies

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup butter, cold
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (this is my favorite
  • 3-3 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt

additional tsp cinnamon and 1/4 cup of sugar for dipping

Directions:

  1. Cut cold butter into chunks, combine in mixer with sugar and cinnamon until fluffy (about 1 minute).
  2. Add egg and vanilla extract, beat until fully incorporated.
  3. Here, I like to scrape down the bowl and then just measure and scoop all the flour directly into the mixing bowl, add the salt and baking powder and mix on low speed until all the dry ingredients are incorporated. This will only take about a minute and the dough will form a ball on the beater and pull away from the sides of the bowl.
  4. Roll dough out onto a lightly floured surface and use your favorite cutters to cut out shapes.
  5. Roll the edges of the cookie in the sugar and cinnamon mixture and then lay the top side down into the mixture. 
  6. Line your baking sheets with parchment for even baking (and easy cleanup) and place cookies onto sheets.
  7. Place baking sheets into the freezer for about 10 minutes while the oven heats to 350 degrees.
  8. Bake cookies for about 10-12 minutes depending on your oven.
  9. Allow cookies to cool completely before decorating or just enough to eat without burning your mouth :)

If you're looking for some other fall perfect cut out cookie recipes try these:






Happy fall and happy baking friends!


Samantha
Flour De Lis

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your recipe! It was extremely dry for me, but I was able to modify it by adding another egg and some more vanilla extract and they turned out amazing!!

Myriam said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe. Someone shared it on instagram and they were right, this is a really great recipe. I think I ate more than what I decorated. The 3 cups of flour was sufficient for me.

Anonymous said...

I think these cookies are so cute and I'd love to share your pages on my own wordpress blog, if I have your permission to do so. But if you prefer I don't, I totally understand that too.

Cindi

Anonymous said...

awesome cookie recipe but I too added an extra egg and vanilla and baked them exactly 12 min and cut them 1/4 inch they were perfect!!

Unknown said...

Confession - I have never made a snick roll out before, but a client asked, and here we are. I'm sold. These are delicious. I got 13 3-1/2" circles and about 6 flower shaped minis rolling at 3/8" thickness. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

I misread the recipe as 3 1/2 cups of flour instead of the 3-3 1/2. It was dry so I added the extra egg and a little more vanilla and the recipe turned out awesome. I will make again and use the 3 cups of flour to see how it goes but will use 2 eggs. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

Jenny said...

So how much flour should I use? 3 cups or 3.5 cups?