Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Mint Chocolate Chip Cut-out Cookies

As promised, here is the recipe for Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies!
It took a little tinkering from the first attempt, but I am happy with the result.
Mint Chocolate Chip Cut-out Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp peppermint extract
  • 2 drops Americolor food gel coloring "mint" (optional)
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
Directions:
    1. In large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy.
    2. Add egg, extract and food coloring. Mix well.
    3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
    4. Add dry mixture to creamed mixture in 2-3 additions. Mixing lightly between each.
    5. Add chocolate chips after the last dry mix addition.
    6. Mix all ingredients well, until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl and is soft but not sticky         
       to touch.
    7. Roll dough into ball and place on lightly floured surface.
    8. Roll out dough and cut into desired shapes.
    9. Place cookies on cookie sheet and freeze for about 10 minutes while oven preheats to 350 degrees.
    10. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes depending on size.
    11. Cool cookies completely before decorating.

This recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies.
You can eat these yummy treats fresh out of the oven for a warm, minty, melty chocolate experience if you want. Or you can decorate them any way you like.

I did a few with simple white on white "lace". 
And than I got a great idea and decided to dip some of them in chocolate. I just melted some dark chocolate I had on hand, added a few drops of oil to give it a glossy, smooth shine and dipped my cookies right in!
If you go this route, let them sit on a bit of waxed paper for a few minutes until the chocolate sets and then you can enjoy! They taste a bit like thin mints. 



**A few people have asked, so I thought I should leave an afterthought here with the answer. I used Wilton Dark Chocolate candy-melts for this project( but I am sure most chocolate would work, including milk chocolate or semi sweet chips). I used about half the bag and about 1/4 tsp of vegetable oil. Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe dish for about 1 minute to 1 1/2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds to prevent scorching. When completely melted, add vegetable oil and stir. This little bit of oil helps keep the chocolate from setting too fast and gives is a lovely shine. This does not change the taste of the chocolate and it will set normally. I hope you enjoy the recipe.**

SAP
Flour De Lis

11 comments:

SweetSugarBelle said...

Genius moment. Just Genius!

angelabarton said...

Thanks to SweetSugarBelle who posted this to Facebook, but this looks AMAZING!! Can't wait to try these for Valentines!

~What kind of oil do you use in your dark chocolate to make it shiny? And what kind of chocolate do you prefer - bark, candy melts, chips?

THANKS!

Sommer said...

My daughter will LOVE these! I've been looking for a recipe like this, thank you! :)

Cristin (Pinkie) said...

I showed this blog post to my son and he got a big smile and said "wow, those might just be the best thing ever". I guess I better make some! Thanks for sharing Samantha!

Sue said...

I will be making these for sure! I have a daughter that will be so happy:) Pinned!

Esther said...

What a brilliant idea! My mint-chocolate-chip-ice-cream-loving husband will go nuts over these!

One question: When dipping in chocolate, how do you do it so you don't get your fingerprints all over the cookie? (I've only ever dipped cookies halfway in chocolate for that very reason.)

MsFoxsSweets said...

These sound awesome! Pinned!

Unknown said...

These look delish! I think I just might have to try them! :-)

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I have really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!
T.U.K. Women's Skull Bow Mary Jane Pump

remove object from photo said...


Very interesting, good job and thanks for sharing such a good blog. Your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You're doing a great job. Keep it up.
Remove object from photo

Unknown said...

Hola, hice la receta y me quedaron muy desparramadas, no mantuvieron la forma del cortador :(