Saturday, March 5, 2011

Homemade Oreo's for Spring

I was asked to make these after I made some faux girl scout cookies last week.

Used my favorite chocolate cut out cookie recipe and adapted the filling recipe from here. I left out the gelatin as I am a vegetarian. Used extra shortening and a little milk. They could easily be made with butter instead of vegetable shortening, but they wont be pure white. If you plan on coloring the filling for St. Patrick's day or Easter or any other holiday it won't make any difference at all!
I stuck with the shortening on this batch, but will try butter next time. It has a much nicer flavor.


I rolled the filling out between waxed paper and used the same round cutter I made the cookies with to cut it. It was a little added work, but I think they look much nicer this way.


Used a little flower cutter to make an imprint on the top. Little signs of spring are popping up all over here.

I am not a huge fan of Oreo's. In fact if I was purchasing store bought cookies, I think I would grab anything else.
But I did sample one or two or maybe five of these...



Enjoy!

SAP
Flour-De-Lis

1 comment:

Kenni said...

These look amazing! I love Oreo's!