Monday, September 19, 2011

Apple Pie Scones

Fall is here in Seattle. Unlike most places, we didn't melt in the long hot summer before it arrived. In fact we only had a few weeks of summer this year.
But I am not complaining. Fall is my favorite season. I love the cooler weather. It's the perfect time to snuggle up on the couch with a cup of hot cocoa, and a fresh batch of scones to watch Friends re-runs.


These little scones are perfect of this occasion. They are fresh and full of fall flavor.

I went to high school in a tiny little town in Eastern Washington. I went back last weekend to catch up with some old friends and grabbed a box of fresh organic apples while I was there.


I started with this simple recipe and tweaked it a bit for my preferences.

Apple Pie Scones
Adapted from allrecipes
Ingredients:
2 cups of flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
2 small Honey crisp apples, finely chopped (I didn't peel mine because they are organic and I like the little flecks of red)
1/2-3/4 cups cold milk
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Directions:
1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices in bowl.
2. Cut cold butter into dry mixture until it resembles fine crumbs.
3. Add in chopped apples and milk and stir just until everything is moistened.
4. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out into a circle.
5. Cut into 8 even sized pieces.
6. Place on cookie sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes, at 350 degrees, until the bottom is golden. 
7. Let scones cool completely before adding any glaze.
You can enjoy them just like this, no glaze. Just fresh apples and spices. Hot out of the oven. Yum!

Or you can mix a little powdered sugar and milk and drizzle it on top.


Yum. Yum. Yum.

I am so ready for fall!

Enjoy!

SAP
Flour De Lis




1 comment:

Sue said...

Perfect fall treat, Samantha!